With National Screen-Free Week coming up May 5-11, 2014, you will want to have some ideas for your young child as alternatives to watching TV or sitting in front of a computer screen. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Start a parade with musical instruments.
- Play with bowls, cups and spoons on a protected surface.
- Tend to a family garden or indoor plant container.
- Dance and sing to music.
- Enroll your child in the local public library’s Summer Library Reading Program.
- Take a walk and clean up litter or collect nature souvenirs (sticks, leaves, rocks, etc).
Find more fun ideas for everyone in the family at Play More, Watch Less.
Contributor: Ellen Schuster, M.S., R.D., Associate State Specialist, University of Missouri Extension, email@example.com, 573-882-1933