- A whole-wheat pita bread pocket or whole-wheat tortilla filled with veggies, diced tuna, salmon or chicken and low-fat dressing or balsamic vinegar.
- A super salad made with greens, nuts and fruit with salad dressing on the side to dip your salad greens into.
- Pasta primavera – whole-wheat pasta and seasonings like basil, garlic and olive oil. Add lots of fresh or frozen veggies to make this a colorful, filling and healthy dish. Or try this summer squash pasta salad at http://missourifamilies.org/nutrition/recipes/SquashPastaSalad.htm.
- Make an open-faced sandwich with whole-wheat bread and pile lots of veggies on it.
- Make a quick stir-fry dish!
- Fire up the grill and make chicken and veggie kebabs with tomatoes and onions. Put the grilled chicken and veggies on top of a bed of whole wheat couscous, which is a quick-cooking pasta.
Wednesday, June 19, 2013
Myth: It’s too time-consuming (and hot!) to make dinner at home during the summer.