It may seem that the winter isn’t the best time to get more fruits and vegetables each day. After all, winter is the time when we like to eat hearty foods like chili and stew. These hearty winter dishes can actually be great vehicles for getting more fruits and vegetables each day. Here are some ideas:
- In the mood for some warm, fluffy pancakes? Top the pancakes with applesauce instead of syrup.
- Making a hearty chili? Add more vegetables to the recipe. Try pureed pumpkin, either from a can or fresh, for a different taste to your chili.
- Add cooked or pureed pumpkin to a stew or soup as well, to add flavor and make it more hearty.
- Making your own pizza (or ordering one)? Order a veggie pizza or make one at home with red pepper, mushrooms, broccoli and other favorite veggies.
- Making lasagna? Add chopped veggies. You can also add chopped veggies to your favorite pasta sauce.
- Nothing says winter and comfort more than baked apples – a satisfying way to get more fruits.
For more tips about nutrition and health, visit the MissouriFamilies website.
Contributor: Ellen Schuster, M.S., R.D., Associate State Specialist, University of Missouri Extension, firstname.lastname@example.org, 573-882-1933